Making fresh, quality foods from home has become a popular trend throughout the years, leaving millions of people looking for cookbooks that not only provide them with outstanding recipes but also show them how to prepare the food.
One popular item home chefs are interested in is fresh homemade sausage. If you are looking for great sausage-making books, we compiled a list of eight quality options for you to choose from.
In this article, we have the best sausage making books of 2022, providing you with step-by-step recipes, easy-to-follow guides, and professional tips and tricks that will help you own the kitchen.
Best Sausage Making Books – Quick Comparison
The Complete Guide to Sausage Making
The Complete Art & Science of Sausage Making
Best for Game Meat
The Complete Guide to Sausage Making
The Complete Art & Science of Sausage Making
Best Sausage Making Books – Reviews
If you are ready to create some of the most delicious meals from scratch, check out these amazing sausage-making books.
This Sausage Making guide is so much more than just a cookbook. The author, Ryan Farr, is not just a great cook but an entrepreneur, butcher, butchery teacher, and so much more.
Who better to provide tips and tools to all skill-level sausage makers than someone who has spent his life surrounded by the industry?
If you are looking for a sausage-making book with clear-cut instructions, step-by-step guides, and delicious sausage recipes, this is the book for you.
- Easy to follow instructions
- Great colored photos to help give clear examples and steps
- Filled with techniques that work
- Authored by an established and successful chef and butcher
- Easy to follow keys and measurement
- Not much information on tools needed
- A lot of “extra” recipes, not sausage related
Date Published: May 13, 2014 | Pages: 224 | Number of Recipes: 50
Although this book mainly covers German sausage recipes, there are dozens of different recipes to choose from. With 186 recipes and tips, you are sure to find something that you are going to love.
The author of this book provides original recipes, as well as historical knowledge that is well researched . He puts a lot of what he learned and mastered into this cookbook with great instructions to help everyone cook up the perfect sausage meal.
- Nearly 200 delicious recipes included
- Recipes are extremely organized and easy to follow
- Plenty of traditional sausage techniques and tips
- Step-by-step instructions anyone can understand
- Provides insight on the author’s experience in the industry
- Written to make large batches, not good for a one meal recipe
- No weights for ingredients other than the meat
Date Published: October 30, 2019 | Pages: 268 | Number of Recipes: 186
Monte Burch not only authored “The Complete Guide to Sausage Making” but took the photos and created the recipes. Monte is an avid outdoorsman chef and wrote more than 75 books, plus thousands of outdoorsman magazines.
These recipes are simple to follow and can help the average home chef or a farmer looking to learn how to butcher an entire animal exclusively for sausage making. There is a little something for everyone in The Complete Guide to Sausage Making.
- Detailed instructions for basic and high-end recipes
- Ideal for those interested in game meat sausage
- Well written and easy to follow along
- Includes recipes for a variety of sausage products
- Affordable for all budgets
- Not as many recipes as other books this size
- Not ideal for basic sausage recipes, mostly made for hunters and game meat
Date Published: March 9, 2011 | Pages: 240 | Number of Recipes: N/A
If you have no sausage-making skills whatsoever, this is a great cookbook for you. This cookbook is full of easy to re-create recipes, step-by-step instructions, and important detailed information such as twisting techniques, how to choose the right cut, and so much more.
The author, Will Budiaman, is a renowned chef with multiple best-selling cookbooks and a recipe developer who has spent a lot of time in the kitchen, perfecting the flavors you will work with when creating your own dish.
- Perfect for beginners
- Easy to follow steps and information
- Authored by a professional recipe developer
- Recipes are hard to mess up
- It doesn’t require an extreme amount of ingredients
- Some recipes suggest too much salt
- Fundamental information is not helpful unless you are a newbie
Date Published: December 26, 2017 | Pages: 208 | Number of Recipes: 75
Whether you are looking for freshly cooked sausage or smoked, dried, or cured, this Home Sausage Making cookbook has 100 recipes perfect for any pallet. These recipes include a variety of meats from wild game to seafood and just about any other ingredient you can imagine.
The easy-to-follow instructions provided by the author, Charles G. Reavis, are perfect for those with any type of skill level. Not only are you getting recipes for the perfect sausage, but the perfect side dish to go with all of them.
- A great cookbook for all skill levels
- Tons of helpful information aside from recipes
- Great detailed answers to many common questions
- Fantastic up-close photos
- Allows the chef to make small batches
- The digital version is hard to understand
- A little pricey compared to other options
Date Published: August 22, 2017 | Pages: 376 | Number of Recipes: 100
The Homemade Sausage cookbook written by Chris Carter and James Peisker is a straightforward, easy read guide to cooking sausage right in your own kitchen. You don’t have to be a professional chef or even a good cook to follow along with these recipes and create a masterpiece of your own.
This book is also full of great information on the perfect tools to use, how to source the best meats for your recipes, and their personal techniques for grinding and preparing.
- A great variety of recipes and ingredients
- Tons of helpful tips and tricks
- Information on how to find the best meats for each meal
- It helps even those with no sausage knowledge make great dishes
- It is an easy and interesting read
- Does not provide the best information on measuring spices
- Not a good book for those looking to cure or smoke
Date Published: December 15, 2015 | Pages: 160 | Number of Recipes: N/A
Bruce Aidells is a genius on all things meat. Not only does his complete sausage book give you great step-by-step instructions on how to create delectable sausage meals, but it also guides you through the process with tons of useful information.
Bruce discusses each type of sausage’s origin and gives you hundreds of tips on getting restaurant gourmet sausage anytime straight from your own kitchen.
- Packed full of helpful information
- Tips and tricks used by professionals
- Easy to follow guides
- Full of fresh recipes
- It reads like an exciting novel
- Not a good book option if you want to cure meat
- The print is a little small
Date Published: September 1, 2000 | Pages: 314 | Number of Recipes: 16+
This sausage cookbook is the perfect read for anyone looking for a variety of ways to create tasty sausage for all occasions, tastes, and lifestyles. If you are looking for something straight from your grandma’s kitchen, this is your book. If you are looking for a modern twist on an outdated dinner, it has that too.
While the number of recipes is amazing, the fact that many of them are also a healthy option for all types of meals makes this book even more beneficial. This book will scientifically break down the art of sausage making with easy instructions for all skill levels.
- Provides healthy sausage options
- Involves an easy to understand breakdown of the sausage-making process
- It comes with tons of recipes
- Easy to read
- Fun and interesting facts, tips, and tricks
- Some recipes are re-used with a small addition of ingredients
- Information is a little wordy
Date Published: May 1, 2016 | Pages: 272 | Recipes: 150
When compiling the list of the top sausage-making books, we searched for specific criteria to make sure the books were top-quality and worth the money. The most important things to keep an eye out for when purchasing sausage making books include:
- Author with experience
- Organized chapters or topics
- Guides with information on how to make sausage, not just recipes
- Recipes that use ingredients you like
- Tips and tricks for making great sausage
- Quality pictures and images
- Easy to follow steps and instructions
What to Look Out For When Buying
When you are ready to purchase a sausage-making cookbook, you want to make sure you are not wasting your time and money on a product that is going to be hard to understand or full of recipes you will never use. You also want a book that was created with beginners in mind.
There are just as many things to watch out for when purchasing a sausage-making book as there are things to look for. Some of the most important details to watch for include:
- Overpriced books
- Books from a sketchy site
- Sausage books with authors unlisted or you can’t find information on
- Books with recipes that are hard to follow
- Recipes that don’t sound appetizing
- Books with more white spaces on the page than images or words
Who Should Purchase Sausage Making Books?
The best thing about having so many sausage-making book options available is that anyone can purchase them. No matter what type of sausage you are looking to make, what food restrictions you have, or what skill level you possess, there is something out there for everyone.
The above books are not an exhaustive list by any means but are merely a starting point on your sausage making journey. Each publication will offer its own unique spin on recipes from author to author. They offer color photos, easy to understand instructions and information, as well as colorful recipes that never bore but intrigue and delight everyone.
Exploring numerous books will offer you the ability to experience the sausage making techniques and tips from different perspectives. While you taste the extraordinary flavors of sausage making around the world. No matter which book you choose to try out, you will not be disappointed in the results.
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of Meat Can Be Made into Sausage?
Sausage is a very versatile food and can be made from pretty much anything you choose to grind up. The most common meats used in sausage are beef, pork, and chicken. However, you can use things such as duck, lamb, alligator, and many others.
What Ways Can You Cook Sausage?
Just like any other meat, sausage can be cooked in numerous ways, including grilled, broiled, pan-fried, baked, etc.
What Are Sausage Casings?
Sausage casings are the materials used to keep the meat in place as a link. These casings are mainly made from animal intestines and are edible, and do not need to be removed before consumption.
What Different Types of Sausages Are There?
Because sausages are so versatile and can be made from tons of different meats, spices, and other ingredients, there are so many different types out there. The way these sausages are made and what they are called will also differ depending on where you live.
Below is a list of the more common types of sausage available.
- Longaniza (Argentina)
- Chorizo (Spain)
- Kielbasa (Poland)
- Italian Sausage (Italy)
- Cajun Sausage (American)
- Longganisa (Philippines)
- Sai Ua (Thailand)
- Breakfast Sausage (American)
- Andouille (France)
- Chorizo (Mexico)
- Laulau (Hawaii)
- Bratwurst (Germany)
What Foods Pair Well With Sausage?
The side dish that best matches sausage will differ depending on which sausage recipe you decide to use. However, there are a few options that will go well with just about any flavor of the meat.
- Mac and cheese
- Sautéed peppers and onions
- French Fries
- Potato chips
- Potato Salad
- Macaroni salad
- Baked beans
- Grilled veggies
What do You Need to Make Sausage?
There are a few different methods out there for making sausage, but most of them require the same tools, which include: